It is a well known fact that you website as only as good as the content that is on it. Good content not only explains what your site is all about in a highly engaging way, it can also help to drive traffic and sales.
So one big question arises from this statement, and that is how to find great writers that can fit the bill. If you are in any doubt how important content writing is to your website, then contact Voova Digital and speak to one of our professional advisors to get the low down on what you should be aiming at.
What Makes a Good Content Writer
Qualifying a good writer can be a really hard task, some look good on paper and their resumes seem okay, but how do you really know the best ones?
The truth is that only time will really tell, but that does not mean you take on the first writer who comes to you. You should set out some parameters that are non negotiable.
- The basics – your chosen writer must be fluent in the basics, that means in grammar, spelling, punctuation and structure of their work. Firstly feel out your potential writer by writing to them, and judge their responses.
- SEO – you are engaging a writer to write SEO copy and not a novel. Find out their knowledge of the search engine and how to write for its audience, and not to please the algorithm.
- Check the samples – run any content through a readability scoring app, such as HemingwayApp.com. Make sure it has great readability and engages the reader.
- Look for content writers that are also SEO copywriters – writers that specialise just in SEO might be able to bring traffic to your site, but their writing may not influence that traffic.
- The writer should understand your audience’s relationship with your niche.
Where to Find Good SEO Writers
Good writers may be found just about anywhere but if you are looking in the bargain basement for writers then bear in mind you will probably reap what you sow, People per Hour and Fiverr attract a fair percentage of very average writers and you will spend a great deal of time trying to evaluate them all.
Try joining SEO and copywriting groups perhaps on platforms like Linkedin and Facebook. Look at some of the writers posts, you can then see how they respond to leads and client requests.
Do You Need SOP?
You will need to assert standard operating procedures and issue them to your choice of writer. The best writers are very popular and probably will have more than one client. Therefore you need to set parameters for them to write to and sign off against the same.
What to Pay
You get what you pay for in life, and this is the mantra that you should adhere to with your SEO writers. Priority is an English speaking writer who if possible is a national speaker and English is their mother tongue.
Inexpensive writers obviously have great allure but they are really not worth all the hassle in editing and so forth. The best copywriters will understand your audience and their culture and most of all their language.