Content Management Systems (CMS) is software designed to manage digital content, they are used in conjunction with web content management and enterprise content management. A good CMS integrates digital asset management and document management and provides end users with access to their own digital assets.
One of the best and most flexible CMS systems is WordPress, it has terrific functionality and the fact that it is more or less free, has made WordPress the most popular system in the world.
WordPress is also very SEO friendly, and it has been deliberately designed that almost a lay person can implement basic techniques. This is perfect for smaller businesses that may not be able to afford professional SEO services, but still want to rank higher.
In this blog we look at ways with simple SEO techniques it is possible to improve the rankings of your WordPress website.
Optimize The Content
Content is the most valuable part of your website, you may have fast loading and a fine site structure, but if your content is not up to par then your site will fail. Before optimizing your content try to understand what your audience wants.
Understand why they might need your products then use this for compelling content. Once you are happy with the content you need on-page optimization, perhaps by utilizing tools like Yoast SEO plugin.
Review Your Link Profile
Good links are still the number one ranking mechanism when it comes to organic rankings. Quality backlinks, and good optimization of anchor text also are highly important to rankings.
Proper link building does take time to organically grow, but there are steps that will help you:
- Quality not Quantity – how many IP’s, domains and C-blocks that link to you is important, but one high quality backlink is worth far more than numerous low quality links. It is good to use link-tracking software to eliminate bad links.
- Fix Broken Links – to fix broken links you can use a plugin such as broken link checker, this type of plugin checks pages, posts and even commentary for broken links.
- Optimize Anchor Text – make sure your anchor text is properly optimized, but don’t overdo the optimization with exact matches etc.
Speed up your Site
The speed of your site is still one of Google’s most important ranking factors, to keep ahead of your competitors your site needs to be faster and react quicker.
- Compress Images – large images slow your site’s speed, plugins such as WP Smush can help to compress your images.
- Reduce Server Load – some catching plugins will have HTML versions of your dynamic pages, which are notorious for slowing server load times. Perhaps using WP Rocket or something similar can help.
Optimize for Mobile
Mobile searches are becoming more and more popular, and Google is soon to index mobile sites in preference to desktop devices. So it is of ultimate importance that your site is fully optimized for mobile both in speed and image compression.
Integrate Google My Business into your WordPress Site
Google my Business is excellent at bundling key factors that relate to rankings. Claim your GMB and add your WordPress site to your profile.
Once this has been done, search for plugins that will assist in transferring key ranking signals such as a business map, photos and customer reviews.
Add Structured Data
The sites that looks so rich with great star ratings is because that they have structured data, and by using plugins like Schema this will help to give customers a greater depth of detail when they come across you in SERP’s.
Although descriptions don’t necessarily improve rankings, good detail will definitely improve click through rates.
These suggestions of how to improve SEO in WordPress sites, will help you achieve higher rankings and to get more customers to visit and stay on your site. They are relatively simple to implement but may take a little time before you see the effect they will have.
If you feel that implementing them on your WordPress site is beyond your capability then why not contact a professional digital marketing company to help, Voova Digital are one such company, contact them for advice and help to transform your site.